Coffee Market In Uganda
- Coffee contributes about 30% of Uganda’s total export earnings. The yield for Uganda coffee is 700 kg per hectare for traditional Robusta coffee, 2,500 kg per hectare for clonal coffee and 600 kg per hectare for Arabica coffee. Uganda produces an average of 3.5 million, 60kg bags per year where Robusta is 80% and Arabica 20%.
- Uganda has about 500.000 small coffee farms, each has less than 2.4 acres of land.
- Coffee is Uganda biggest foreign exchange earner after tourism and you can find four (4) types of coffee: Arabica, Robusta, Liberica and Excelesa.
- Robusta coffee stands for some 70% of the total coffee export
- Uganda exported some 3.5 to 3.6 million coffee bags during 2015.
- Export is expected to increase to 6 million bags or more before the year 2020.
- Only 10% of the Uganda Coffee today can be considered sustainable with both organic and fair trade certification.